The Welcome Project is a student project at the University of Erfurt in which Erfurt students get involved with refugees. One of the main tasks is student mentoring to familiarise refugees with the idea of continuing their previous education by studying in Germany. The refugees can participate in integration and support activities at the University of Erfurt and come into contact with Erfurt students.
The students of the Welcome Initiative offer many kinds of support:
- weekly welcome consultation hours
- information on free guest studentships, help in choosing courses that are suitable for guest students
- arranging language tandems between Erfurt students and refugees
- information events and workshop days on issues related to studying (financing, preparation, specialist information)
- initial counselling on studying in Germany or at the University of Erfurt and referral to professional counselling structures.
In addition, the mentoring programme also offers campus and library tours, joint group meetings and excursions (picnics, sporting events, regional excursions, etc.) and takes into account the ideas of the refugees and students. The Welcome Project also works together with other actors in the city, such as the Sprachcafé Erfurt, where people can meet and chat on Tuesdays from 6 pm at Allerheiligenstr. 9.
contact the Welcome project: