Arrival & Departure

Before arrival

Arrival check list

hand in globe
  • A passport that is valid for the full period of your stay in Germany (otherwise you may have to return to your home country in order to have your passport extended)
  • Letter of Admission for study at the University of Erfurt
  • Proof of financial means 
  • Visa (NO tourist visa), if required 
  • EU: European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) 
  • Non-EU: Health insurance that is recognised in Germany (e.g. AT 11) OR, if it is not recognised: a Travel Insurance that is valid until you obtain German statutory health insurance
  • International student identity card (ISIC)
  • necessary medication and inoculation certificate
  • enough cash for the first days after arrival 
  • EC bank card or credit card
  • Plug adapter


passport on globe

Students who want to enrol at a German university may only do so with a student visa. A visa authorises you to enter, but not remain, in Germany. The visa has an expiration date.  A visa is not required for students from EU countries, Switzerland, the USA, and Japan. You must apply for your visa at the German embassy or consulate in your home country. The following documents must generally be submitted for an application for a visa:

  • Letter of Admission for study at the University of Erfurt
  • Proof of sufficient financial means for the duration of the study period in Erfurt (EUR 931 per month as of winter semester 2022/23 )
  • Copy of a higher education entrance qualification certificate
  • Proof of knowledge of the German language 
  • Health certificate, if necessary

The processing of a visa can take up to three months. Please allow yourself ample time for the visa application! Never travel with just a tourist visa as it cannot be converted into a student visa. You also would not be able to enrol at the university and would have to leave Germany after three months! 

Obligatory formalities after arrival

Registration in Resident Registration Office Erfurt (Bürgeramt)

Within two weeks after arrival, all international students must register in the city of Erfurt Registration office (Bürgerservicebüro). 

Bürgermeister-Wagner-Straße 1
99084 Erfurt

Telephone: (0361) 655-5444
Fax: +49 0361 655-7609

Opening hours (may vary, please check online each time)

Mon / Wed / Fr / Sat:  9.00 - 12.30 Uhr
Tue / Thu: 9.00 - 18.00 Uh
You will need the following documents:

  • your passport
  • lease + "Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung" (residence registration form)

Registration in the Foreigner Registration Office (Non-EU only)

Students from Non-EU-countries must apply for a residence permit at the Foreigner Registration Office Erfurt (Ausländerbehörde).

Ausländerbehörde der Stadt Erfurt
Bürgermeister-Wagner-Str. 1
99084 Erfurt
Telephone: (0361) 655-3830

You will always have to make an appointment online (Scroll down to Terminvereinbarung bei der Ausländerbehörde).

You will need the following documents:

  • your passport together with a photocopy
  • the form "Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltserlaubnis" (Application for a Temporary Residence Permit in Germany) which you find online
  • one biometric passport-sized photograph 
  • certification of university enrolment ("Immatrikulationsbescheinigung") / student identity card
  • proof of health insurance
  • residence registration form ("Meldebescheinigung", available from Bürgerservice)
  • proof of sufficient financial means to cover the living costs for the duration of the study period in Germany

Obtaining German statutory health insurance

Obtaining German statutory health insurance

Every student is required to have adequate health insurance coverage at all times. Documentation for health insurance must be provided when enrolling at the University. As a student, you have the right to statutory health insurance at the lowest rate of contribution (at present appr. 100 Euro per month).

The following health insurance options are available:

for students up to 30 years old: a health insurance contract with a general local health insurance fund at student rates (approx. 100 Euro per month)
for students over 30: a health insurance contract with a private health insurer (Compare the prices of various statutory and private insurance companies for the best offer!)

The health insurance of certain countries with bilateral agreements with Germany is recognised in Germany so that it is possible for you to simply remain insured in your own country.

You must obtain the form specified below from your domestic national insurance and present it to a german health insurance company (last updated 04/2017):
European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from national health insurer (EU-countries; EEC-countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway); Switzerland)
BH 16 (Bosnia-Herzegovina)
JU 6 (Serbia, Montenegro)
RM/D 11 (Macedonia)
AT/11 (Turkey)
A/TN 11 (Tunesia)

Health insurances from other countries and travel insurances are normally not recognised. Students must normally  buy health insurance in Germany.

Three steps until enrolment

Hoersaal 1 KIZ Uni Erfurt

1. Payment of semester contribution

2. Proof of health insurance
2.1 Students under/up to 30: Proof of German statutory health insurance for student price
2.2 students over 30: Proof of private health insurance

3. Upload of passport photo for the thoska (student card)

Please submit the proof of health insurance at the International Office during office hours.

Please note that the enrollment steps are integrated in the preparatory programs for exchange studies (stay for 1 or 2 semesters). If you want to start a degree program at the University of Erfurt (undergrad or grad, 3 to 5 years), please read the information for enrollment for degree-seeking international students. 

Obligatory formalities before departure

In order to end your stay at the University of Erfurt you will need to deal with a number of departure formalities in this order:

1. Exmatriculation

You can fill out the exmatriculation form at the International Office 1 to 2 weeks prior to departure. It will then be turned in at the Student Affairs Office (Studium und Lehre). Should your exmatriculation date be earlier thatn the official administrativ semester end dates (30/09/ winter semester, 31/03/ summer semester, you will need to submit the form at the Student Affairs Office yourself. The exmatriculation date is particularly relevant for students from Non-EU countries, because the final health insurance fee is calculated as to that day.

Please note that you are no longer able to ride the trams/trains for free as of the exmatriculation date.

2. Deregistration from the Residents Registration Office Erfurt

You may register your notice of departure at the Residents Registration Office during their opening hours within 1 week prior to departure (and not earlier!) You only need to bring a form of identification with you (passport, ID, etc.). We recommend you to also bring your lease. 

After the deregistration you will receive a Notice of Departure.

3. Deregistration from statutory health insurance (Non-EU)

If you are from a Non-EU-country and have German health insurance, you have to submit your Certificate of Exmatriculation and the Notice of Departure and the at the respective branch of the insurance company. Before closing your German bank account, the last installment has to be transfered directly to the insurance company’s account, so make sure your account stays open until then.

Good to know: Ways to Erfurt

By plane

There are regular flights to Erfurt from almost all of the larger German airports (e.g. Düsseldorf, Köln-Bonn, München, but not from Frankfurt/Main). Erfurt Airport is situated on the outskirts of the city, approximately 10 km from the city centre, which can be reached by tram after your arrival.

By train

High speed trains (ICE, IC and IR) travel regularly to Erfurt from all parts of Germany. If you arrive via Frankfurt, there are trains from Frankfurt airport and Frankfurt Central Station ("Hauptbahnhof") to Erfurt every hour. There is a tram stop and taxi stand immediately in front of Erfurt Central Station. The tram travels directly to the University.

By bus

By bus

Das Fernbus-Netz wurde über die letzten Jahre in Deutschland erheblich ausgebaut. Sie können die zentrale Busstation in Erfurt, die sich direkt am Hauptbahnhof befindet, mit dem Fernbus von allen größeren Städten erreichen (z.B. Frankfurt/Main, Berlin, Nürnberg, München, etc.). Sie finden alle Verbindungen online (z.B. unter

By car

Erfurt can be reached via the motorways A 4 and A 71.

  • From the west (Frankfurt/Main), you should take the A 4 Frankfurt - Dresden to "Erfurter Kreuz". From "Erfurter Kreuz", drive along the A 71 to the "Erfurt-Bindersleben" exit. Then follow the signs to "Erfurt-Nord" and "Universität".
  • From the east (Dresden or Leipzig), follow the A 4 Dresden - Frankfurt to the "Erfurt-Ost" exit. Then follow the signs to "Zentrum" und "Universität".

There is a visitors' parking lot behind the university campus with plenty of free parking spaces.

By tram

There is a tram stop in front of the central railway station. You can travel directly to the university with trams number 3 (going to "Europaplatz") or 6 ("Rieth") without having to transfer. The university tram stop is the seventh after the central station (Anger - Fischmarkt - Domplatz - Webergasse - Bergstraße - Baumerstraße - Universität). The main entrance to the university is directly opposite the tram stop.

Contact for international exchange students

Sandra Schmidt
Sandra Schmidt
Incoming Student Advisor - Admission Officer and Advisor for exchange students
(International Office)
Verwaltungsgebäude / room 0.34
Office hours
Please make an appointment via e-mail.

Contact for international degree-seeking students

Marion Kraushaar
Marion Kraushaar
International Student Advisor - Bachelor and Master students, refugees; Admissions Officer
(International Office)
Verwaltungsgebäude / Room 0.37
Office hours
by arrangement

Information (Leaflet)

Information for international students and guests