Exchange with the Temple University in Philadelphia (USA)
APPLY NOW FOR 2021!
For students interested in studying abroad there is a new opportunity to spend one semester in the United States. Three places are available which will be supported by full financing by the DAAD through 2021.
Master students of the MA History with a focus on modern times can apply for the Exchange Programm with Temple Universityin Philadelphia.
Please contact the International Officefor information about the application and further questions.
The deadline for application for the fall term 2021 is December 2nd, 2020. For more Information go to the website of the International Officeor to the Temple Exchange Blog
Dr. Vera Kallenberg honored with the Arno Lustiger Price 2019
The Chair of North American History congratulates Dr. Vera Kallenberg for her monograph "Jüdinnen und Juden in der Frankfurter Strafjustiz 1780-1814. Die Nicht-Einheit der jüdischen Geschichte" (Göttingen: Wallstein Verlag 2018. https://bit.ly/2KQG6Gm) being honored with the Arno Lustiger Price 2019 for academic excellence in the field of german-jewish history by the Stiftung Polytechnische Gesellschaft, Frankfurt am Main, as part of the Rosl und Paul Arnsberg Price.
New research project supported by the Fritz Thyssen Foundation on "Photography and Counterhegemonic Subject Positions in the Philippine-American War (1899-1902)".
The Chair of North American History thanks the Fritz Thyssen Foundation for supporting Dr. Silvan Niedermeier's research project "Returning the Colonial Gaze. Photography and Counterhegemonic Subject Positions in the Philippine-American War (1899-1902)".
The 24 months long project started in April 2020.
New DFG-sponsored Research Project: "Armed Self-Defense in Recent America: Intersectional Perspectives"
The department is delighted by the support of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation) for the research project "Armed Self-Defense in Recent America: Intersectional Perspectives". The cooperation with Prof. Barbara Lüthi (Köln University) and Prof. Simon Wendt (Goethe University, Frankfurt/Main).
The research project started in October 2018.
International Graduate School "Resonant Self–World Relations in Ancient and Modern Socio-Religious Practices"
Together with colleagues from the Faculty of Philosophy and the Max Weber College at the University of Erfurt, Jürgen Martschukat is a Principal Investigator in an international research training group at the University of Erfurt in cooperation with the University of Graz on the topic of "Resonant Self-World Relations in Ancient and Modern Socio-Religious Practices". Interested persons from the field of modern and especially North American history should pay attention to event announcements and regular job advertisements.
- Webtalk by Silvan Niedermeier on the subject "Deadly Racism: Continuinities and Development of Police Violence in the USA" (06/25/2020): https://bit.ly/2VAwsws
- Jürgen Martschukats appearance on the SWR Nachtcafé with the subject My Body - My Asset? (06/26/2020): https://bit.ly/3ga3bki(interview starts at 31:35)
- Review of Timo Bonengels dissertation "Risky Substances: The 'War on Drugs' in the USA (1963-1992)" in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung by Jürgen Wilzewski: https://bit.ly/2ARYts7
- Interview with Jürgen Martschukat about his new book The Age of Fitness on Radio SRF with the title Fitness as zeitgeist (01/14/2020): https://bit.ly/2uLNoFK
- Interview with Jürgen Martschukat about his new book The Age of Fitness with the RBB Zwölfzweiundzwanzig-Podcast (01/11/2020): https://bit.ly/2FQihvd
- Review of Jürgen Martschukats new book The Age of Fitness by Stefan Scholl for H-Soz-Kult (11/05/2019): https://bit.ly/34tF6ir
- Interview with Jürgen Martschukat about his new book The Age of Fitness for Deutschlandfunk Kultur - Tacheles Podcast (10/26/2019) with the title Slim bodies for slim coporations: https://bit.ly/348ESx1
- Article in Süddeutsche Zeitung Online (10/14/2019) about Jürgen Martschukats new book The Age of Fitness with the title Self-loathing makes you fit: https://bit.ly/2osV4dp
- Article in ZEIT Online (10/11/2019) about Jürgen Martschukats new book The Age of Fitness with the title Running is the citizen's primary duty: https://bit.ly/36dW7Pb
- Article in Der SPIEGEL online (09/27/2019) and in print (2019/40, 09/28/2019) about Jürgen Martschukats new book The Age of Fitness with the title Rambo would do Crossfit: https://bit.ly/2omd1Kc
- Interview with Nina Mackert for the MDR Thüringen Journal (07/14/2019) with the title In plenty unpopular: The Calorie
- Deutschlandfunk - Aus Kultur- und Sozialwissenschaften interview with Jürgen Martschukat (01/17/2019) on Pressure to perform in one's leisure time
- WDR/NDR-Zeitzeichen interview with Nina Mackert (12/14/2018) on John Harvey Kellogg
- Interview with Nina Mackert for Deutschlandfunk on How the body became a cult object (12/13/2018): https://bit.ly/2CkqsyU
- Interview with Jürgen Martschukat for WortMelder/University of Erfurt on Excellenzcluster on Adipositas (06/12/18): https://bit.ly/2yl4zzh
- Interview with Jürgen Martschukat for ZEIT ONLINE (06/10/18)on Fitness and the female "Normkörper": https://bit.ly/2yn1Cyq
- Interview with Jürgen Martschukat for Deutschlandradio (02/21/2018) on protest against US-gunlaws: http://bit.ly/2HF3LGh
Lehrstuhl Nordamerikanische Geschichte
On campus address:
Campus der Universität Erfurt
Nordhäuser Straße 63