§ Section 4 ThürHGEG (fees for exceeding the standard period of study)
(1) The institutions of higher education shall charge students fees in the amount of 500 euros for each semester by which the standard period of study of a course of study leading to a first degree qualifying the student for employment or of a bachelor's and consecutive master's programme is exceeded by more than four semesters.
(2) The standard period of study shall be determined in accordance with the respective examination or licensing regulations of the degree programme currently chosen. In the case of consecutive degree programmes within the meaning of Section 50, Paragraph 3, Sentence 1 ThürHG, the total standard period of study of the first degree programme completed and of the consecutive Master's degree programme shall be taken as a basis. In the case of second degree programmes, in deviation from sentence 1, the standard periods of study of the currently chosen degree programme and the successfully completed first degree programme shall be added together, provided that
- the study of second courses of study is required by professional law for the attainment of the desired professional qualification, or
- a degree from the first degree programme which is far above the average of the examination year is proven.
A second course of study within the meaning of sentence 3 shall be deemed to be a second or further undergraduate course of study following a course of study completed at a higher education institution within the area of application of the Basic Law.
(3) All periods of study at institutions of higher education within the area of application of the Basic Law shall be taken into account for the purpose of charging fees in accordance with subsection 1; a one-time change of course of study up to the completion of the second semester and semesters of leave of absence shall not be taken into account. Periods of part-time study shall be counted accordingly and rounded down to full semesters. Within the framework of the standard period of study, this shall only apply insofar as its assessment does not already take part-time study into account.
(4) At the request of the student, the obligation to pay fees pursuant to paragraph 1 shall be deferred by periods of
the actual care of a child within the meaning of Section 1, Paragraph 1, Sentence 1, No. 2 and Paragraph 3 of the Federal Parental Allowance and Parental Leave Act (Bundeselterngeld- und Elternzeitgesetz) in the version of 27 January 2015 (BGBl. I, p. 33) 1) in the version applicable at the time, until the child reaches the age of 14, but at most until the student reaches twice the standard period of study,
caring for a close relative within the meaning of Article 7, Paragraph 3 of the Nursing Time Act (PflegeZG) of 28 May 2008 (BGBl. I p. 874 -896-), as amended, insofar as their need for care within the meaning of Article 3, Paragraph 2 of the Nursing Time Act (PflegeZG) is proven, but at most until they have completed twice the standard period of study, and
active participation in university committees, insofar as this is not counted towards the standard period of study in accordance with the relevant provisions in the university statutes pursuant to section 52, paragraph 5, sentence 1 of the Thuringia Higher Education Act, but by a maximum of two semesters.
(5) The obligation to pay fees pursuant to paragraph 1 shall not apply to periods of leave of absence or to periods during which the student receives benefits under the Federal Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz). In the case of simultaneous matriculation in two or more degree programmes, the fee shall be paid only once; the periods of the degree programme with the longest standard period of study shall be taken as a basis.
(6) The fee shall be waived in part or in full on application in individual cases if its collection would lead to undue hardship. Undue hardship is generally deemed to exist in the case of
- the effects of a disability or a chronic or serious illness which prolong the period of study,
- the consequences of being a victim of a criminal offence which extend the period of study, or
- an economic hardship in the immediate vicinity of the last section of the final examination.
Sentence 1 shall apply accordingly if, due to special circumstances of the individual case, charging fees would represent an unreasonable hardship for the student.