Tasks, Composition and Terms of Office
Pursuant to section 35 Senate paragraph 1 ThürHG, the Senate has the following tasks:
- enacting and amending the basic statutes, taking into account and appreciating the opinion of the University Council pursuant to Section 34, paragraph 1, sentence 2, no. 3, as well as on other statutes, insofar as this law or the basic statutes of the university do not stipulate other responsibilities,
- participation in the search committee as well as in the university assembly in the election and deselection of the President and the Head of Administration pursuant to § 36, para. 1, § 30, paras. 4 and 9, and § 32, paras. 2 and 7,
- election and deselection of the members of the University Council pursuant to § 34, paras. 4 and 5,
- granting consent to the appointment and removal of Vice-Presidents in accordance with § 31,
- establishment, amendment, abolition and determination of the internal structure of self-governing units; the Senate may delegate this decision to self-governing bodies under section 40,
- granting consent prior to the conclusion of agreements on objectives and performance pursuant to section 13(1) between the institution of higher education and the Ministry,
- granting consent to applications pursuant to § 2, para. 2 and § 4, whereby resolutions on applications pursuant to § 2, para. 2 shall require a two-thirds majority of its members,
- establishment, amendment and cancellation of degree programmes; the Senate may delegate this decision to self-governing bodies in accordance with § 40,
- commenting on appointment proposals and drawing up proposals for the conferment of the academic title of "professor" in accordance with section 88(4) and the dignity of "associate professor" in accordance with section 62(6),
- issuing guidelines on the advancement of women, drawing up equality plans and electing the Equal Opportunity Officer, the Diversity Officer and other university officers,
- granting consent to the principles of endowment and internal distribution of funds in accordance with § 14, para. 5, sentence 2,
- commenting on the draft of the business plan,
- commenting on the annual accounts,
- opinion on fee or charge regulations as well as user regulations within the meaning of § 12 ThürHGEG,
- commenting on the annual report of the Presidium in accordance with § 29 para. 3 and
- conferring academic honours.
(source: Thuringian Higher Education Act)
composition and terms
In accordance with § 35 para. 3 ThürHG, the Senate consists of the following twelve voting members (permanent Senate):
- three representatives from the group of professors,
- three representatives from the group of students,
- three representatives from the group of academic employees,
- three representatives from the group of employees in technology and administration.
Each member group elects a speaker from among its members.
For decisions on matters directly affecting teaching, with the exception of teaching evaluation, research, artistic development projects or the appointment of university teachers, the Senate also includes seven additional professors in accordance with § 35 Para. 4 ThürHG (Extended Senate).
The members of the Senate each have single voting rights.
The President is a member of the Senate without voting rights and chairs the Senate. The other members of the Presidium are also members of the Senate in an advisory capacity without voting rights.
With the exception of personnel decisions, the Senate meets in public.
The term of office of the members is three years, that of the students one year.
agendas, meeting documents and minutes
You can find agendas, meeting documents and minutes in the internal service area for university members(path: internal service area/direct to/download centre/Senate). Please understand that this area can only be accessed after logging in.
dates of meetings
An overview of the current dates as well as the meeting cycles of the committees can be found on our commitees page.
Representatives from the group of university teachers
Professor for Educational Research and Methodology (Faculty of Education)
Holder of the Chair for the History of Science (Historisches Seminar)
Holder of the Chair for Modern German Literary Studies (Literary Studies)
Representatives from the group of academic employees
Wissenschaflicher Mitarbeiter und Habilitand an der Professur für Öffentliches Recht, Völkerrecht und Europäische Integration (Faculty of Economics, Law and Social Sciences)
Managing Director (Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies)
Elena Marie Elisabeth KieselResearch Associate Research Group "Freiwilligkeit" (Faculty of Philosophy)
Representatives from the technology and administration group of employees
Online editing (University Communications)
Andreas HöfelmayrLeiter (Quality management in studies and teaching)
System administrator website (University Computer and Media Center)
Representatives from the student group
Luca HorstkötterMember of the Senate (Senate)
Emily JänichenMember of the Senate (Senate)
Elisabeth MenneRepresentative from the group of students (Senate)
Gerhard Haniel Professor for Public Policy and International Development (Willy Brandt School of Public Policy)
Holder of the Chair of Inclusive Education Research with a focus on Learning (Faculty of Education)
Holder of the Professorship for Organisation and Management (Faculty of Economics, Law and Social Sciences)
Head of the subject area "Berufspädagogik und Weiterbildung" (Faculty of Education)
Holder of the Professorship for Canon Law (Faculty of Catholic Theology)
Holder of the Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach Endowed Professorship for Civil and Corporate Law (Faculty of Economics, Law and Social Sciences)
Holder of the professorship "Betriebswirtschaftslehre mit Schwerpunkten Strategisches und Internationales Management" (Faculty of Economics, Law and Social Sciences)
Kerstin AmrheinHead of Staff Unit University Development (President's Office and Staff Unit University Development)
Christin LechowskiEmployee (a.o. Senate office) (President's Office and Staff Unit University Development)
Niklas RadenbachEmployee (a.o. office Universitätsrat) (President's Office and Staff Unit University Development)