At the Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) Transregio 294 “The Structural Transformation of Property”, which is hosted at the Universities of Jena and Erfurt, the following academic research position is advertised at the University of Erfurt, part of the project A1 “Divine property: Solutions from Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages” (Project leaders: Proff. Dres. Jörg Rüpke and Markus Vinzent). The part-time position (26 hours per week) is available as soon as possible.
Research assistant (m/f/d)
Pay category E 13 TV-L (65 %)
Area of Responsibility
- Participation in the research tasks as well as the preparation and realization of events of the interdisciplinary Collaborative Research Centre "The Structural Change of Property" (https://www.uni-erfurt.de/max-weber-kolleg/forschung/forschungsgruppen-und-stellen/forschungsgruppen/sonderforschungsbereich-transregio-294-strukturwandel-des-eigentums)
- Work on project A1a „Ancient and late antique ideas of Divine property“ within the Collaborative Research Centre. The successful applicant will investigate in particular the question to what extent thinking about divine property and God/Gods as owners changed the concepts and forms of human property. For this purpose, poetic texts from the late republican-imperial Latin literature will be analyzed with regard to their concepts and forms of argumentation. They will be interpreted against the background and in their effect on contemporary sacral, social, and economic practices.
- willingness to pursue an academic qualification (for example a doctorate) at the University of Erfurt
- excellent degree (Master or equivalent) in Religious Studies, Classics or Ancient History
- knowledge of Latin or (preferably: and) Greek
- methodical reflectiveness of the thesis
- willingness to engage with the methods and concepts of the Collaborative Research Centre “The Structural Transformation of Property”
- documented interest in pursuing a doctorate in an interdisciplinary research environment
The German version of this vacancy notice alone shall be legally binding.
The position is available as soon as possible and will end on 31 December 2024. This call for applications is addressed to applicants who meet the requirements of Academic Fixed-Term Contracts Act (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz). General conditions of employment of the § 91 (5) of the Thuringian Higher Education Act (Thüringer Hochschulgesetz) apply.
The University of Erfurt is committed to the goal of gender equality. The vacancy notice is addressed equally to male, female or diverse applicants. Women are underrepresented in the advertised area and are therefore particularly encouraged to apply. Severely disabled applicants and those who are equivalent to them are given preferential consideration in the event of equal aptitude, academic performance and ability.
Please submit your application with CV, copies of your final school and university degrees, a copy of your MA or diploma thesis and an outline of the project you would like to pursue (5 pages) in electronic form (in 2 PDF files, master's thesis separately; emails with attachments in the doc-format will be deleted without an error message) stating the reference number by 26 January 2021 to
University of Erfurt • Max-Weber-Kolleg • Postfach 90 02 21 • 99105 Erfurt
Please note that the system cannot process electronic applications that exceed 15 MB.
The University of Erfurt uses an email system with transport encryption capabilities. Please send your emails with transport encryption, too. If you wish to encrypt the content of your email further, please use the following email address instead of the one provided above: firstname.lastname@example.org. The certificate containing the public key you need to send an encrypted email to that address is available at https://www.uni-erfurt.de/universitaet/arbeiten-an-der-universitaet/stellenausschreibungen. If you choose not to encrypt your email using the certificate, we cannot guarantee that the content of your email will be encrypted at all.
In sending your application files in electronic form, you agree to having your e-mail scanned for harmful coding, viruses and spam, to the temporary saving of the necessary data of your correspondence and to the conducting of further correspondence via e-mail without further encryption.
By submitting your application, you also agree to the further processing of the submitted personal data within the application process. This agreement can be withdrawn at any point in written or electronic form, without specifying your reasons. Please note that withdrawal of your agreement may lead to your application not being further considered for the position applied for.
The further information on data protection in accordance with Art. 13 EU General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR) can be found in the information sheet ("Privacy Notices for Applicants") on our website under https://www.uni-erfurt.de/universitaet/arbeiten-an-der-universitaet/stellenausschreibungen.
The University of Erfurt does not refund any costs incurred in the application process.