Philipp Schmid aims to analyse the impact of messages of science denialism on individuals’ health decision-making and to design interventions to reduce their persuasive influence.
Science denialism is an approach that has the ultimate goal of rejecting a proposition on which a scientific consensus exists. In the age of mass media, science denialism has multiplied its reach and availability, threatening the acceptance and lifesaving use of health-treatments and prevention behavior – e.g. HIV-treatments or vaccines. Deniers use different techniques, such as conspiracy theories or false logic, to promote their messages of science denial.
To understand the impact of messages of science denialism on individuals’ health decisions, Philipp Schmid applies an empirical judgement and decision-making perspective. In addition, he uses literature from the fields of debunking, inoculation and rebuttal to design and test promising interventions. His aim is to generate basic research findings applicable to recommendations and guidelines for health authorities.
Philipp Schmid's personal website
Areas of expertise: psychology, health decision-making, persuasion, mis-disinformation, science denialism
- 2015 – 2020 Dissertation in Psychology (Dr. phil.), University of Erfurt
- 2013 – 2015 Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Psychology, University of Erfurt
- 2010 – 2013 Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Psychology, University of Erfurt
- 2021 – present University of Erfurt, Post-doctoral researcher (100%): Research project "JITSUVAX", co-funded by the Horizon 2020 programme of the European Union
- 2020 – 2021 University of Erfurt, Department of Psychology, Interim lecturer for statistics and methods
- 2016 – 2020 University of Erfurt, Research associate: Research project "Vaccination60+", funded by the German Ministry of Education and Research.
- 2015 – 2016 Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf, Research associate: Research project "Increasing Influenza Vaccine Uptake: Targeting Health-Care Personnel.”, funded by Deutsches Zentrum für Infektionsforschung (DZIF)
- 2011 – 2015 University of Erfurt, student research assistant
- 2022 European Commission
- 2021 World Health Organization (WHO), Regional Office for Europe
- 2020 World Health Organization (WHO), Headquarter
- 2015 – 2019 World Health Organization (WHO), Regional Office for Europe
Full CV for Dr. Philipp Schmid