In 1524, Martin Luther (1483–1546) wrote to the councillors of the German cities: "We need new schools in which the ancient languages are taught and which thus enable our own critical approach to the biblical text. Boys and girls should be well educated in general, since the church and especially the state need capable and educated young people. It is now the task of the public authorities to establish these schools and the associated libraries and to finance them in the long term. Luther's council pamphlet soon led in many places – as late as 1524 in Gotha, and later also in Erfurt – to the foundation of Protestant council schools, which still exist today as grammar schools.
Kai Brodersen, professor of Ancient Culture at the University of Erfurt, now presents Luther's writing in a copy of the edition published in Erfurt in 1524, a transcription and a new translation, and makes it accessible with an introduction, explanations and an index. Even after 500 years, it is still true that we need schools where the ancient languages are taught.