English and American Studies comprises much more than intensive language study to acquire advanced knowledge in oral and written English. It encourages critical thinking, expands discursive skills in both mother tongue and foreign language and increases intercultural competence.
In addition to an in-depth study of current English, which includes an intensive examination of its structure, varieties and origins, our departments enable students to develop skills in the analysis of and reflection on literature and to acquire a broader knowledge of the cultures, literatures and history of the Anglophone countries.
On this basis, English and American Studies brings applied perspectives to all subject areas. These relate, for example, to the learning and teaching of foreign languages, but also to the inclusion of media study aspects in the treatment of issues in literary and cultural studies.
What Makes Studying in Erfurt Attractive
One field of activity is teaching at different schools and colleges.
Moreover, many graduates of English and American Studies work in the following industries:
- Translation (interpreting, translating)
- Publishing (editorial department)
- Documentation and archiving (libraries)
- Journalism (print media, news agencies)
- Radio and television (editing, writing)
- Public relations (PR agencies, consultancy)
- Marketing and advertising (copywriter)
- Diplomacy (NGOs, embassies)
- Politics (parties, associations)
Foto Credits: AdobeStock (undrey)