"What God gives remains worthless (Was Got beschert bleibt unerwert)". This saying stands over the portal in the Michaelisstrasse 38, in addition the year 1565. But the history of the house goes back further, already since 1395 the name "house to the large ark Noah and angel castle (Haus zur großen Arche Noah und Engelsburg)" exists. The house already served university purposes at that time. From 1392 to 1395 it was the residence and study place of the second rector Amplonius Rattingk von Bercka.
130 years later the printer Melchior Sachse set up his workshop here. 224 writings were published, including such important ones as Luther's translation of the Bible and the reprints of the Strasbourg edition of the Eulenspiegel. In 1565, Sachse, who had achieved prosperity through hard work, had the building rebuilt, extended and partly rebuilt in such a way that it still (or once again) presents itself to us today in its outer form. Since 1495, the Sachse family also owned a multi-storey back building extending to the Breitstrom. The house "Kleine Arche Noah", located at an angle to Furthmühlgasse, is considered the place of origin of the mocking verses Epistolae obscurorum virorum (Dunkelmännerbriefe), which were published anonymously in 1515 and 1516.
The more recent history of the estate was less glorious. Mainly used for residential purposes, it survived the last world war almost unscathed, but the state of construction deteriorated rapidly afterwards. Up to 16 tenants lived under unacceptable hygienic conditions. There were many plans to renovate the house professionally and use it for new purposes, but lack of money and materials prevented this for a long time.
In 1996, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation took over the property as investor. Between 1998 and 2000, the listed building was extensively renovated and converted into the International Meeting Center Erfurt (IBZ). On October 2, 2000, the building was officially opened and handed over to the University of Erfurt.