Financing and funding opportunities
The possibility to apply for a scholarship depends on many factors, e.g. nationality, residence status and study programme. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to research and provide funding opportunities for all target groups. We recommend the scholarship database of the German Academic Exchange Service as a starting point for research. Early information is particularly important, as you have to apply for many scholarships more than a year before the start of your stay abroad.
- Students eligible for BAföG can apply for BAfög for their studies abroad. Students who have just missed the income limit should also apply. Applications are submitted to the authorities responsible for the respective countries. You can find a list of the respective responsible offices under the link Auslands-BAföG. There you will also find the application forms and further information. You should apply for Auslands-BAföG approximately 6-9 months before the start of your stay abroad.
- The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) provides information on scholarships for studying abroad.
- Fulbright travel grants can be awarded to exchange students within the framework of university partnerships. Students going to the USA via an exchange programme can apply for a travel grant.
- The Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes awards scholarships for a range of subject-related study and research stays abroad.
- The University of Erfurt sponsors students for study, internships or language courses abroad as part of the DAAD PROMOS programme.
- The Rotary Foundation promotes peace and international understanding and annually awards scholarships to students who identify with its goals.
- The German-American Society also nominates one student each year for a scholarship to a university in the USA.
- The company Eidam & Partner awards up to 15 partial scholarships for study or internships abroad each year.
- The scholarship database mystipendium.de offers a comprehensive overview of scholarships.
- Under certain circumstances, Master's students can apply for a grant from the International Office of the University of Erfurt for participation in workshops, conferences and conventions abroad.