The interdisciplinary collaborative project aims to make fundamental cognitive science findings available for practical application in the field of diagnostics and the promotion of language and written language acquisition as well as for the creation of instructional designs. This is done by taking into account perspectives from cognitive psychology, developmental psychology, special education, music education and German didactics. The project will first address basic research questions concerning the cognitive foundations of language and written language acquisition and the cognitive processes involved in language and written language processing. Subsequently, the knowledge gained will be transferred to educational applications in the fields of diagnostics, prevention, didactics and intervention.
In the project "Sound - Language - Writing" the following eight subprojects are being worked on:
- "Music Processing and Acquisition of Written Language" (Project management: Prof. Dr. Claudia Steinbrink, Prof. Dr. Jens Knigge, Prof. Dr. Gerd Mannhaupt & Jun.-Prof. Dr. Stephan Sallat);
- "Musical and Verbal Working Memory" (Project management: Dr. Judith Schweppe, Prof. Dr. Jens Knigge & Jun.-Prof. Dr. Stephan Sallat);
- "Phoneme Similarity Effects in Working Memory" (Project management: Dr. Judith Schweppe, Prof. Dr. Ralf Rummer & Prof. Dr. Gerd Mannhaupt);
- "The Visual Working Memory in Retaining Written Language" (Project management: Prof. Dr. Ralf Rummer & Dr. Judith Schweppe);
- "Sound Symbolism" (Project management: Prof. Dr. Ralf Rummer & Dr. David Butttelmann);
- "Theory of Mind in Children with Grammatical Disorders" (Project management: Jun.-Prof. Dr. Stephan Sallat & Dr. David Buttelmann);
- "Effects of Language and Inhibitory Control on Theory of Mind and Phonological Awareness" (Project management: Prof. Dr. Claudia Steinbrink & Dr. David Buttelmann);
- "Identification of Factors Influencing the Effectiveness of Reading Promotion for Third Graders with Reading Difficulties" (Project management: Prof. Dr. Gerd Mannhaupt & Prof. Dr. Claudia Steinbrink).