Language skills, courses and examinations

Required language skills

Auslandsstudium in Spanien

Requirements of the University of Erfurt:

  • Great Britain / Ireland as well as English-speaking universities in Turkey: CEFR* level B2 or equivalent certificates (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS with the score required by the host university); mentioning a level on the school leaving certificate is not sufficient.
  • France / French speaking part of Belgium: CEFR French level B1 (some French universities require B2)
  • Italy: CEFR Italian level B1
  • Spain: CEFR Spanish level B1 (some Spanish universities require B2)
  • Other countries: The University of Erfurt does not require proof of language ability here. However, many partner universities, e.g. in Scandinavia, the Benelux countries or the Baltic States, do require proof of English if classes are taught in English. The requirements range from level B2 to TOEFL / IELTS and are frequently changed so that no general recommendations can be given here. Mentioning a level on the school leaving certificate is usually not sufficient. Knowledge of the national language is always an advantage, but only mandatory if courses are not offered in English.

Mixing courses in the national language and English:
At some universities it is possible to mix courses in the national language and courses in English. If you plan to do this, you may need language certificates in both languages!

Requirements of the host universities:
The requirements of the partner universities may differ from the above-mentioned information in individual cases! Always research the website of the university of your choice and take any required tests early.

Please note:
Please also read our notes on language certificates in the menu item "Frequently asked questions".

*CEFR = Common European Framework of Reference for Languages

Language Level Tests

If a certain level of language proficiency is required, this must be proven by a standardised level test. A mere mention of a language level in the grade report, e.g. based on the entry in the Abitur certificate, is not sufficient and is generally not accepted by the host universities. You will need a transcript of a standardised test with grades, points or score. If you have taken the level test at the Language Centre at the University of Erfurt, you will receive the certificate from the Language Centre after the test.

Language courses and examinations offered by the Language Centre of the University of Erfurt

The Language Centre of the University of Erfurt offers language courses and examinations in most common languages. These are free of charge for students of the University of Erfurt. The language examinations always take place at the end of the semester, but not every examination at the end of each semester. Find out about the dates in good time and register early enough!

The following rules apply for admission to the level B2 English examination:

  • Only students who have achieved at least 65 points in the Oxford Placement Test (OPT) will be examined.
  • Students who have scored less than 65 points in the OPT will only be examined if they have completed a B2 level English course at the Language Centre
  • An exception to this rule is possible if a longer stay in an English-speaking country can be proved. However, this does not mean that the B2 examination is waived for these students.